SERVPRO says: Be sensible and cautious when controlling the risk of house fire during holidays
ATASCADERO – In a year in which large festive gatherings are not always possible, SERVPRO’s fire damage specialists in the Atasquadero region say that the emphasis on family parties and more intimate celebrations can take on a special meaning.
It’s as important as a big party where a small family comes together, says Rick Isaacson, CEO of Servpro Industries. We all love to bring the glamour of the Christmas season into our homes with Christmas trees or menorahs and candles, but these statistics from the U.S. Fire Department1 show how easily a home decor can turn into a domestic disaster.
– The three best days for home candles are Christmas, New Year and New Year’s Eve.
– More than half of the furniture fires in December are lit by candlelight.
– A heat source too close to the Christmas tree causes one in four winter fires.
– On average, one in 52 registered Christmas tree fires at home resulted in death.
In addition to careful handling of candles and heat sources, it is also important to follow manufacturers’ recommendations for festive lighting, says Isaacson.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, electrical distribution or lighting equipment was involved in 44% of household Christmas tree fires. Although Christmas tree fires are not common, they can be devastating to more than just the house itself. They can destroy irreplaceable photographs, memories, family heirlooms and even cost lives, Mr. Isaacson said. To make your home and family happy and safe, use common sense when placing candles and trees and follow these important rules when decorating your home.
– Use only flame-resistant or non-flammable jewellery.
– Check the holiday lights annually to see if the wires are worn or too worn.
– Do not attach more than three light strings.
In a year in which much of what we take for granted has changed, we know that people still come together – personally or virtually – to celebrate family traditions and holidays, Isaacson says. Staying safe has become a common term in the context of public health, but during this festive season we encourage all Atasquadero owners and companies to think about how to stay safe in their homes while preparing for and enjoying the holidays.
SERVPRO is a market leader and service provider for the treatment and recovery of fire and tap water. For more tips on safety and fire protection and information on fire and water damage repair services, please visit www.servpro.com. For more information about SERVPRO in the Atasquadero region, please contact one of the local contractors listed below.
– For more information about SERVPRO Atasquadero, please contact Joseph Powers at 805-466-6618 or [email protected]
– For information about SERVPRO in Morro Bay King City, please contact Robert Skelton at 805-674-5771 or [email protected]
– For SERVPRO in San Luis Obispo, please contact Joseph Powers at 805-541-1271 or [email protected]
Here we go:
Like the download…
After we came through this together, Atasquadero…