Christian Benteke cost Crystal Palace a club record of £27 million when he joined the Liverpool club in August 2016.
Sebastian Haller scored the equalizer with a spectacular head to give West Ham a point against their London rivals Crystal Palace.
Christian Benteke, who was then sent away, led Palace to an away game at London Stadium with his third goal in as many games.
Benteke took the lead over Issa Diop, who managed to get a magnificent pass from Joel Ward behind Lukas Fabianski.
However, the Hammers made up for it when Ivorian attacker Haller sent Vladimir Koufal’s cross into the net with a beautiful shot over Vicente Guaita.
The signing of the £45 million Eintracht Frankfurt speaks of a special cause, and West Ham boss David Moyes added: In one of my first games, he scored a shovel. I want him to score a goal, too.
We need someone to find the merchandise. We got a miracle out of him, really.
Benteke, who had previously surprised Angelo Ogbonna with his elbow, was sent away with a second yellow card after 20 minutes for a similar foul against Tomasz Soucek.
It was a ridiculous decision, said palace boss Roy Hodgson. He was just trying to use his arm as leverage and win the ball fair and square.
It’s weird to sit here and say things like you’re some kind of freak who wants things to go your way.
Decisions like this ruin the game.
Benteke mixed state
David Moyes is disappointed with the flat performance of West Ham.
There was little chance he could return to his old form in a heavy London derby – before being taken out of the game by referee David Coote.
After scoring twice in his last away game at West Brom, he has now scored as many Premier League goals as in the previous two seasons.
Benteke shone in the first half with a tough performance, scoring a goal, creating a new opportunity and having five field attempts.
He’s timed his run perfectly to hit Ward’s delivery and keep Palace on the line.
But Benteke’s evening got even worse after Haller’s equalizer, which was sent away after he grabbed Soucek’s right elbow, which had already been reserved for contact with Ogbonna in the first half.
That means Benteke will miss the visiting game of his former club Liverpool in Selhurst Park on Saturday.
Moyes agreed with his counterpart Hodgson that the red card was serious.
I didn’t think it was a delivery. If you jump, you’re afraid to hit heads or make arm movements, Chief Hammers said.
Sebastien Halle scored his seventh goal of the 2020-21 season in all games with a beautiful air attack.
Hammers prove point
Despite losing two points and missing the chance to finish in the top five, West Ham is approaching Moyes’ first birthday in good shape.
When, on the 30th. December 2019 to take the lead for the second time, the Hammers are 17th in the standings with one point.
Twelve months later, Moyes built a team that was hard to beat, characterized by creative courage and hard work.
They now have 21 points from 13 races, 18 less than in 2019-20.
Against a determined Palace team, West Ham were unable to continue last Friday’s performance when they came from behind to win in Leeds, but once again showed character and fought back from a deficit.
Haller’s goal was the highlight of the match, a beautiful finish that Palace hero Vicente Guaita left with no chance against the leaders Tottenham on Sunday.
The palace sinks before the withdrawal of Benteke
Red card for Christian Benteke hard to accept – Roy Hodgson
Le Palace is in good shape as they prepare for Saturday’s kick-off against defending champions Liverpool.
Roy Hodgson’s concern, who is looking to freshen up his team with three changes, will be that his side has only won once in five games.
But as they did against Spurs, they put in a good performance against one of the best teams in the Premier League.
Palace created the best chances in the first half and after he took the lead, Andros Townsend created a great opportunity for Benteke, but he couldn’t finish it.
After Bentek’s dismissal, the visitors regrouped and sidetracked West Ham, with Scott Dunn and Cheikhou Kouyate leading the defence.
In the last three games, our offensive game has been particularly strong, Hodgson added. We’ll get some fun out of it.
Goal and red card in the same match – Statistics
- Two of the last three cases in which a player has both scored and been sent away in a Premier League game are Crystal Palace players – Christian Benteke today and Wilfried Zaha against Southampton in January 2019.
- West Ham manager David Moyes has only been defeated once in eight Premier League matches with Crystal Palace (W5 D2).
- The Hammers have avoided defeat on each of the last three occasions on which they have conceded the first goal in a Premier League game.
- Crystal Palace has not scored in their last 12 Premier League matches.
What’s the next step?
West Ham faces another London derby when they meet Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League (20:00 GMT), while Crystal Palace hosts Liverpool on Saturday at 12:30 GMT.
The player of the game
West Ham United
- Team number5Player nameKufal
- Team number41Player nameRice
- Team number 22Player nameHaller
- Team number28Player nameSchuchek
- Team Number20Player’s NameBowen
- Team number10Player nameLanzini
- Team number 1Player nameFabianski
- Team number21Player nameOgbonna
- Team number3Player name Cresswell
- Team number9 Player nameeBenrahma
- Team number23Player nameDiop
- Team number 7The player’s name is Yarmolenko.
- Team number11Snodgrass Player’s name
- Team number18Player namePackages
- Team number 10Player’s nameTownnsend
- Team number 20Player nameBenteke
- Team number25Player nameEze
- Team number8 Player nameKuyate
- Team number31Player nameGuita
- Team name number2player name field
- Team number6Player nameThen
- Division three. Detective Namewan Anholt.
- Team number 18PlaymenameMacArthur
- Squadron number11Zaha player name
- Team number4Player nameMilivojevic
- Team number 15PlaynameSlurr
- Team number9 Player nameJ Ayew
- 20BowenSubstitution of Yarmolenko in 80’minutes
- 9BenrahmaChangédeSnodgrassum 88’minutes
- 18FornalsReplacement of Lanziniat 45’minutes
- 31 gwaith
- 2D district
- 6D thin
- 3Van Anholt
- 10TownsendSubstituted for Sluppat 85’Min.
- 4MilivojevicNetworking at 75 miles
- 25EzeSubstituted byJ Ayewat 76’minutes
- 20BentekeBookable at 70Minutes
- 9J Ayew.
- The game is over: West Ham United 1, Crystal Palace 1.
- End of the second half, West Ham United 1, Crystal Palace 1.
- Attempt blocked. Scott Dunn’s (Crystal Palace) header from the center of the area is blocked. Luka Milivojevic prepared the ball with a cross.
- Corner, Crystal Palace. Prepared by Angelo Ogbonna.
- The attempt failed. The head of Sebastian Haller (West Ham United) from the middle of the box is too high. Vladimir Kuphal prepared the ball with a cross.
- The attempt failed. Declan Rice (West Ham United) takes a right shot from outside the penalty area. He’s close to the target, but he misses it. Assisted by Manuel Lanzini.
- Vladimir Kuphal (West Ham United) will be punished after committing an offence.
- Jeffrey Schlupp (Crystal Palace) hits a free kick on the left wing.
- Replacement : West Ham United. Robert Snodgrass replaces Syed Benrahma.
- Thomas Soucek (West Ham United) is punished after he has committed an offence.
- Joel Ward (Crystal Palace) gets a free kick in the opposite half.
- Replacement, Crystal Palace. Jeffrey Schlupp is replacing Andros Townsend.
- Issa Diop (West Ham United) is punished after committing an offence.
- Jordan Ayew (Crystal Palace) hits a free kick in half of the opponent.
- Corner, West Ham United. Diversion by Scott Dann.
- Replacement : West Ham United. Andriy Yarmolenko replaces Yarrod Bowen.
- The attempt failed. Sebastian Haller’s (West Ham United) header from the center of the box is missing on the left side. Vladimir Kuphal prepared the ball with a cross.
- Replacement, Crystal Palace. Jordan Ayew replaces Ebereki Eze.
- Corner, West Ham United. Diversion by Scott Dann.
- Luka Milivojevic (Crystal Palace) has been booked for an offense.